Saturday, October 8, 2011

A new day..

Sleep is impossible in the hospital.  

I know I haven't posted anything on Ali's behalf in awhile and I'm sorry.  Things have just been busy.  Yesterday her mom came to the hospital to relieve me of my duties around 11am.  Her mom and her dad were here for most of the day and they took the following pictures.



She did really well with her physical therapy and walked the halls until she got tired.  She spent a good portion of the day in a more upright position which is important in the early stages of her recovery.

I spent the afternoon and evening at home with the kids and they asked countless questions about mommy and why she was in the hospital.  I did my best to explain it to them and showed them pictures of her standing, walking, and lying in her bed.  

I came back to the hospital around 8:30pm to take care of her.  She was pretty exhausted from all the work she put in during the day and slept quite a bit.  By sleep I mean dozing off for 30min or so before the next nurse or tech would come in to wake her up for vitals or to change out fluids.

She's still taking the Vicodin every 4hrs and Flexeril every 8hrs.  She still has her Morphine pump but she is slowly weaning herself off of the constant dosing she was doing before.  This morning a nurse came in and removed her catheter which has freed her up to be a little more mobile.

Her main problem today is the blotting and nausea.  After they removed the catheter she got up and set in a chair for awhile and then we took two big laps around the floor using her walker.  She was nauseous when we started the walk and really nauseous when we finished.  When she set back down in her chair she was quite certain she was going to be sick.  A few minutes later while waiting for the nurse to come give her something for the nausea she vomited.  I can't imagine how that must have felt with all the convulsing on her traumatized spine.  The nurse arrived and gave her a shot for the nausea and she is currently sleeping.


No comments:

Post a Comment