Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Computer Error

Last Wednesday, September 28 I had my final appointment with Dr. Marco and my Pre-op appointment with the hospital.  Somedays, if you could look into the future, you'd roll over in bed and go back to sleep.  Last Wednesday was one of those days. After a frantic morning battling Houston rush hour traffic we made it to UT Spine and Scoliosis Center for my final appointment.  I came armed with my Ipad that had been loaded with all the standard question one might have that are about to go into surgery.  Since it had been longer than 3 months since my previous x-rays new ones were ordered and then displayed on the computer in the room we were waiting in.  What I was not prepared for was what happened when the doctor walked in.  He greeted us and went right over to the computer where he measured the Cobb Angle (a measurement used for evaluation of scoliosis curves) of my Thoracic and Lumbar curves.  Silence ensued.  He measured, and remeasured.  Then actually scratched his head, walked out of the room, brought in his PA who then measured again, and again, and again.  Dr. Marco then walked towards me, told me that my curves looked fine, no progression since I was 19 years old, and then proceeded to tell me I didn't need surgery if I didn't want it.  Ummmmmmmmm, what? Apparently, their fancy computers that they use that thoughtlessly measures these Cobb Angles for them, incorrectly measured my previous x-rays adding 15+ degrees to each curve.  I sat with a blank stare on my face as I felt the blood draining from me.  Was I supposed to jump up and down in joy that I didn't "need" surgery?


Making up my mind to have this surgery was one of the biggest decisions I have ever made in my life.  I have read and re-read everything I can possibly read to educate myself, and I have made the decision to go through with it to better my life, not immediately, but in the future.  I have researched surgeons and made an educated decision, I have moved myself and my kids to Houston indefinitely to have the support of my family while I go through this, and the thought of having it taken away from me because I didn't "need" surgery was devastating.  Not to mention the emotional roller coaster one embarks on when faced with such a massive procedure.


Now, there I sat in the room and the only thing I could mutter was... "yes, I am having this surgery, October 6, with you.  That's in 8 days." At that point we were able to move forward with examination.  I don't do well with change.  I am a very organized person who plans everything, including trips to the bathroom.  So I went from feeling excited about being there and ready to totally flustered.  Then he threw me another curve ball.  He told me that because of my age, 29, that he won't be able to correct me much and that he feels a selective fusion of just T4-T12 is going to be sufficient for me.  He basically went on to say that I won't be happy with the results essentially and that I need to be realistic about my expectations.  I lost so much faith in him so quickly, and I felt so blind-sided that I started crying.   He went on to say that there was a big conference on October 1 with many surgeons and that he would present my case to everyone there.  He referred me over to another Dr. in town that also performs these procedures for a second opinion.  I left his office very upset, but happy that they were able to get me in to the other doctors office right away.


After a 20 minute drive, and a 30 minute office wait,  I met with the most personable Dr. ever, Dr. Meyer.  He reviewed my x-rays, checked me out and told me that I was going to need surgery. That the situation just wasn't as dire because the curves haven't increased.  He also told me that Dr. Marco was an amazing doctor, but was a major underseller.  Where one doctor will say that you'll be thrilled with the outcome, another one will tell you to expect the worst.  Dr. Marco is also the only surgeon in Houston that removes cancerous tumors from the spine and therefore also has to be more solemn and quiet when dealing with these cases.  Apparently, he carries that over to all patients.  Dr. Meyer told me that I couldn't be in greater hands, and that I was making the correct decision and to go ahead and stick to the original plan.  He also said that he felt a selective fusion would be best for me as well.  Phew.... I felt much better after that visit.


Saturday night I received an email from my doctor stating that all the doctors independently stated that a fusion of T4-T12 with a thoracoplasty would render the best results.   This is overall very good news.  Anytime less vertebrae have to be fused the better.  The think that my Thoracic curve is a structural curve and is what is needing the correction.  They believe that my body created the lumbar curve as a compensatory curve to balance out my body.  This in turn prevents me from looking like my body is off to one side.  They think that whatever correction they are able to get on the thoracic curve that the lumbar curve will spontaneously correct itself to that.  There is a small chance that that won't happen and months or years down the line I may need more surgery, but for now, this was all very good news.  This also means that my flexibility will not be compromised and all of my lumbar discs will be salvaged which is a huge deal.  A lot of time when the lumbar vertebrae are fused there tends to be disc degeneration that take place in those lower lumbar vertebrae which can then lead to more pain, problems, and surgery.  So what's a thoracoplasty?  Well, I have a rib hump on the right side of my back that was created when my spine shifted to the right.  It essentially caused my ribs to grown rounded in the back and not flat like people without scoliosis.  In a thoracoplasty, usually about 4-6 ribs are cut so that they can then regrow flat.  The smooth muscle that covers each rib is pulled back, and then the ribs are cut at the curved part.  The muscle is then laid back down and in about 4 months when the rib grows back it will grow back flat giving my back a more natural appearance.  The upside is that it will be a big step in feeling "normal" for me.  I have always been so self conscious about my rib hump, and never wear any shirts that are tight on my back.  Not to mention sitting on a hard back chair will one day be possible for me, pain free.  The drawbacks is that in surgery they will have to deflate a lung in order to do this procedure, and I will then have a chest tube inserted for about 24 hours  while the lung re-inflates, not fun.  From what I read though, the recovery is so painful anyway, what's a few broken ribs?


That's it for now, I will be posting some pictures soon.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, and I love you!!! I can't wait to see you whopping my butt all over our next run, of course wearing a tight razorback shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete