Saturday, October 22, 2011

October 6th and beyond

I made my decision very early this year to have surgery.  Did all my research and by May 12, 2011 I had my surgery date scheduled and 5 grueling months of waiting ensued.  I had a fabulous summer with family and friends and enjoyed my kids as much as humanly possible.  Life stopped for me after October 6th, not that it actually did, but all my plans for the year stopped on October 6th,  Its like life after surgery was an unknown place that wasn't really even talked about.  Not because it didn't exist, but because nobody could have told me how my recovery would have gone and therefore no plans could be made.  I spent so much time preparing for October 6th that I never thought about all the great things that would follow, Drew's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas!!  I never in a million years would have thought that aside from my little bump in the road in the hospital I'd be doing so well.  On Thursday which was Tim's last day here in Houston, we all went to Target to go spend some of Drew's birthday money, then out to lunch at Panera. I even spent some time in the afternoon at Kohls, and Ross.  Aside from the car ride being unpleasant, I actually did quite well.  I now walk next to people and think to myself.... you have no idea what I've been through, you can't even imagine what I have in my back.  It's kind of cool!  It's even cooler, that nobody knows.  It belongs to me, and I look normal.  I'm even walking normally again, just two weeks after surgery.  Reverting back to the car ride, it isn't painful anymore to ride in the car, it is just a very strange feeling that is difficult to put into words.  It feels like having a little earthworm wriggling off of a broken stiff twig would look like.  Its like total stiffness on top, and then movement underneath, and every bump in the road creates different sensations in different parts of my back.

Life is almost so normal now, that I'm starting to feel that familiar guilty feeling I used to have when I didn't 100% involve myself in everything my kids did.  When I do take those 30 minutes to an hour to go up and "recover" from my standing and walking I feel like I should be downstairs entertaining them.  Thanks God for my Mom who now has full responsibility of them while I continue to heal.  I am surrounded by family and friends so dedicated to making this as easy for me as possible.  My parents watching my kids, enrolling them and paying for amazing preschool three times a week.  Feeding, bathing, clothing them.  I am so lucky!  My Mom's friends have been flooding me with flowers and phone calls and even hospital visits.  I received Get Well cards from family in England.  Not to mention, lots of Facebook well wishes.  Seriously, its things like this that make you realize how much love one is surrounded around.    So, thanks to all who are making this journey as easy for me as possible.

I happen to stumble upon a scoliosis forum last night on which a lady talks about her newly released singe called "This Scar."  Its a song about her journey through scoliosis.  Its a little bit corny, but I thought I'd share it with you.  Release date was October 14, just 8 days after my surgery. Click on the link below.

http://lisanicolegrace.bandcamp.com/track/this-scar

No comments:

Post a Comment