Friday, October 14, 2011

I made it home!!

Yesterday, Thursday, morning I was finally well enough to be discharged.  This is never a very fast process and I didn't actually leave the hospital until 4:30p.  The morning started out really well.  It was my first morning that my stomach felt awake again and I was craving any food that happen to flash on the TV. I was up and walking the halls and all the nurses and staff that had seen me over the previous week were stopping me to say how amazing I looked and how happy they were to be seeing me going home.  I even gave them virtual hugs because the thought of actually receiving a hug right now would be as painful as a slap in the face, probably worse.  

Tim packed up much of the room and made a trip home to Katy, about 30 minutes away to drop off "stuff" and pick up pillows that would make my trip from more comfortable.  While he was gone,  I decided eating and entire banana in 5 minutes was a good idea.  I felt up to it, my stomach felt fine, even hungry.  Within 30 minutes I had that all too familiar feeling that you get right before you throw up.  I managed to get out of bed, and take my jacket off.  As I panned the room for my vomit bucket I was heart-broken at the site of  it on the floor.   Currently anything below my waist level doesn't exist and cannot be picked up.  I quickly made my way to the bathroom where I got into a perfect lunge position so I was head level with the sink and proceeded to vomit into my wheel chair accessible sink.  YUCK! OUCH! Vomiting causes extreme pain when recovering from back surgery as can be imagined.  And only a couple short hours after that were were on our way home from the hospital which turned out to be the most painful car ride of my life.  I will be avoiding cars for as long as possible.  Its like all of my shock absorption was removed during surgery and every insignificant bump in the road felt like daggers in my back and like it was just going to snap in two.

My babies were so excited to see me and after putting on a momentary brave face all I could do was cry because I could hug them, kiss them, or pick them up like they are used to being greeted.   They know Mommy's back is hurting, but not silly and crooked anymore, and they know it's going to take some time for me to get better, but that concept of time means nothing to them.  They miss me, and they tell me constantly, and I've only been home a day.

The rest of the afternoon was extremely painful and it took until about midnight for me to get my pain  under control again.

So I'm home, today has been a pretty good day.  My back is expected to hurt and will continue to do so for a long time, but its the major stomach issues I was not ready to battle.   Still can barely eat more than an ounce of something very bland at a time, and only about 4 times a day.  Can't wait to eat normally again.  In the meantime, I'm getting skinny!!!!  And tall!!!  Its like a supermodel diet.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! So glad you are home. Its only going to get better. Can't wait to see you and feel REALLY short and fat. :) and give you a hug, but only when it won't hurt. In the mean time, whenever you are ready for my Spanish lessons to start give me a call. We should Skype or FaceTime when you are ready. My kids a dying to talk to you and see that you are okay, and of course there has been nonstop chatter about your kiddos as usual, every time they see the pic of the photo booth on the fridge. Miss you so much!!

    ReplyDelete