Tuesday, November 1, 2011

4.5 miles at 25 days

Yesterday marked 25 days pot-op, and I celebrated by walking 4.5 miles.  These were just the miles that  were recorded on my trusty Garmin, and not the additional walking around the house I did, and the several errands I ran with my Dad.  I slept really well last night!!  Saturday I'll be walking my first 5k at 30 days post op.  I used to run before I had surgery, its something I truly enjoy doing.  Running clears the mind, and makes you realize what work is.  There is nothing more amazing than getting to that point in a workout where you feel like you're going to die, your heart is pounding, sweat dripping from every inch of your body, and I always get chills when I reach my breaking point.  Pushing your body to that level, and then feeling how quickly you can recover is an unbelievable thing to me, and something I so crave.  I'm not crazy, I just really like to feel my body working.  I kind of went off on a tangent there.  So, before I had surgery, I had been following a scoliosis forum for several months.  There was one lady on there that had a spinal fusion surgery, and at 33 days post op walked her first 5k.  I thought that was  so amazing, and gave me something to strive for.  It also encouraged me in knowing that there is life after fusion, and that I will be able to continue doing all the athletic things I so enjoy.  So, I'm one up-ing her by completing my first 5k walk at just 30 days post op.

Progress continues going really well.  I spend most of my day with my kids now, with minimal lay down breaks.  I can also sit in a car or couch quite comfortable again.  I still feel like I got hit by a car, and I'm wondering jut how long that sensation will last.  I can still only very gently put my hands on my waist or poke my ribs.  I feel like I have an all over torso bruise.  The steri-strips on my incision are still holding tight, and only the top two have fallen off thus far.  Dr. Marco said that they fall off at just the right time all on their own.  Can't wait for that!  There are times where my muscles feel so tight that I just want to get in a hot bath and soak for a while, but I can't until those strips fall off.  So I settle for nightly HOT showers which do wonders for relaxing the back.

Pain management is going really well, and I can go most all days without taking anything at all anymore.  Its still a requirement at night along with a muscle relaxer.  I've gotten to a point where I've become really aware of where the bottom of the rod on vertebra T12 and the unfused portion on L1 meet.  It isn't painful, just really annoying at times.  When I lay in bed and shuffle myself over to get comfortable it causes a really strange sensation.  The other night I just couldn't get comfortable and I kept feeling that rod in my back and it kind of made me feel a little bit of panic.  I felt taken over, uncomfortable, violated.  I really just wanted to rip the rod right out of my back.  There are times when I think about all that I have screwed into my back and I think it's really neat, and I feel so hardcore.  Then there are times when I think about what was done and what I have back there and it bothers me, and I want the intruder out of my body.  Strange, huh?

I got to partake in three really fun things with my kids this last week.  These events I had crossed off my calendar as being able to do so soon after surgery.  First, last Friday, the kids school had a Halloween Party. Each room had a fun little game they could play and earn candy, and the cafeteria was full of yummy food to choose from.  It was so much fun to see all the little kids dressed up.  there were a ton of people and it was quite crowded in some areas.  Crowded places make me a little nervous because I don't want anyone to bump into me.
Fishing for treats with Lyla.  She had to be a Princess and a Ballerina.  So we merged the two.

Decorating cookies 

Then, Saturday morning was Howl-o-ween event at La Centerra which is a really nice outside shopping area in Katy, TX.  Everyone dressed up their dogs and there was even a one mile walk that took place for anyone who wanted to participate.  Lyla jogged the first half mile without stopping as she was chasing a giant man in a dog suit riding in a truck leading the walk.  Drew was really unsure of that giant dog and spent most of the time yelling "Bring me back my sister!"  It was quite funny.
I know, so strange, who posts a picture from behind?? But do you see how straight I am?  I never  looked like that before.


Finally, we got to go trick-or-treating last night and the kids and I had a fabulous time.  They didn't get scared at all, and had such a good time collecting massive amounts of candy.  
Don't they look happy. Buzz Lightyear sans wings

Getting ready to head out


1 comment:

  1. Alison, You are AMAZING!!!!! Keep getting well!!
    and your babies are just TOO CUTE!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete